Saturday, October 14, 2017

Bless Those Who Protect



Just a few short days ago I posted about serving and volunteering and helping our neighbors in time of need I must say I was overwhelmed with the response from friends and family that wanted to share their recent life events and how they used that post to be inspired to serve. 

My life long friend Trisha wrote:

Trisha Carr Ron Hamilton thank you for this post this morning. I woke up with a little cold and was going to blow off an opportunity to volunteer in Santa Rosa. That city was devastated by fire earlier this week. After reading your post I jumped out of bed and headed there to volunteer. It was a life changing experience. Seeing grown men tear up after losing everything was almost more than I could take. 

I was able to give clothes, food, toiletries, hugs but most of all God's love. Thank you Ronny for continuing to be a shining light in my life!! I love you! 💜





Really isn't that what life is all about? As we watch the events that unfold around us each day we can choose to let the sadness over take us or we can climb out of bed and serve our neighbor. Trisha is one who has ALWAYS put others first and served with love in her heart.

The events of Las Vegas also stretched the courage of so many and brought fear into our lives. I remember sitting in bed that night waiting to hear from my life long friend Cindy Wozney. For hours I wondered if she was safe and where she might be in that dark horrible night. Then it came, a text that she was still there hiding. About an hour later she sent me a message that she really wanted a hug. What a faithful friend that in what could be the darkest time of her life she wanted a hug.

(Today I missed her when she came to get that hug but It is still here waiting for her.)

These two friends have certainly stood by me through some of my most challenging times with my health struggles and I know that they are a text mesage away from getting in their car and coming to my rescue. All I have to do is ask.

We all have a friend like that, a friend that is there day and night no matter what. That friend is Jesus. Always there to protect us and serve us and give us what we need. It may not be what we want but he gives us what we need.

As humans, we want to see God's protection as a magic force field that keeps us from all harm. Yes, God has to stop any evil or destruction but we must remember that we live in a fallen world where we have free will and sometimes God works in ways that we do not understand. Sometimes God's protection comes in the form of peace and strength in the middle of despair. Sometimes God's protection comes as an ending because he sees something more on the horizon that we cannot see. As a believer in Jesus, we are promised a new life covered under the protection of God in which NOTHING can separate us from His love. Rest knowing that no matter what hardship you face, God is your provider and protector!

The bible says:

2 Thessalonians 3:3
But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen you and protect you from the evil one.

It is so true. But tonight I want to add a different spin to this message a challenge of sorts. You see the last Blog I also spoke of men and woman who rush into danger as we rush out. They risk everything so that we can have life and safety. During those recent fires many of these men and woman had lost all they owned yet there they were running to save others and during those shootings some had been shot or lost family members but there they were shielding the innocent and risking their lives. 

 





They don't ask for anything. They just serve. They run through the night saving lives while we sleep. We sleep peacefully because we know they are there. Like the police man, highway patrol and sheriff the work in a dangerous and they do it with only a badge over their heart to protect them.

So today, you are reading this Blog and you are wondering what you will do today. Will you go to church and pray for a family who has lost so much? Will you watch football? Call your parents and check in on them? How about this idea. Today, go to the kitchen and bake a batch of cookies or cupcakes or coffee bread and take it to the nearest firehouse or police station and say thank you because the odds are they had a long night. 

As you deliver I will pray for you. Iwill pray that God gives you and those you serve strength to protect and help each other in this sometimes crazy world. Mostly, I will pray that God keeps you safe, brings you good health and that he will give you courage in all you do. Then I will thank him for fireman and thank him for giving me friends like Trisha and Cindy to travel with me as I make "My Journey."

No comments:

Post a Comment