Friday, February 23, 2018

A Snowy Night In Standard



Keith Eichenberger - Ron Hamilton - Robert Laeng
A Friend Loves At All Times
Proverbs 17:17

Editors Note: While I have been away for a bit of time from this Blog it does not mean that the Journey stops. Sometimes I just need to stop at a rest stop and recharge the battery, visit with old friends and be reminded that when road blocks happen there are those there to carry me as I make "My Journey." These good people remind me that even though parts of my body can be damaged by a disease my mind, spirit and energy are still just as strong as ever.

As I crossed the street and headed for the restaurant the snow crunched under my feet and my breath froze in the night air. It had been snowing earlier and the threat of more to come was real. As I held Krisnha's hand we thought out loud how smart we might not be for being out on a night like this night and all its wonderful stormy elements

This night was different, at least it was different for me. This night, as cold as it was, had my batteries charging and my energy at its peak. It is not often I get a chance to meet up with friends that I care so much about. Friends that through all things good and bad are....Friends.

Here we were three middle aged men and a couple of our spouses sitting down for a dinner. Tonight, we would relive the memories of childhood, share stories of life and talk about present day relationships and the importance of those relationships as we move to our older age.

Robert told stories of the old town of Standard from the days of his childhood. The son of a Postmaster, Robert told us stories about the houses in Standard, the buildings, the businesses and how trick or treat in Standard was the best place to be when he was a child. Stories of walking home through Standard to his home across the highway. Days at Curtis Creek and stories of friends and where they are now. 

Then one day in the mid 1970's that little town started to disappear and today all that is left is memories of childhood adventures and bowls of candy. The mill still runs logs and there are little stores and a restaurant that fill the remaining buildings. 

As dinner arrived we all joined hands for prayer. As I prayed my mind could not help but drift back to our glory days. Friday nights under the glow of lights at a football game. There I am standing on the sidelines next to Kym Berry and we are screaming our heads off for our beloved Wildcats. I can still hear the announcer Mr Parson's as he says "Number 29 Eichenberger makes the play for the Wildcats." My mind flashes to the gym and Robert is in what seems to be the biggest match of our lives. IF he wins his bout we win the meet that night. My skin feels goose bumps as my mind hears the crowd screaming and cheering Robert to victory.

As my pray ends we release hands but the talk of our faith continues. My heart is full and I am in joy of the evening that I am having. The snow outside the window is falling and starting to really starting to stack in the street but the room is full of warmth and love and understanding. We talk of friends here and gone, children, spouse's and God. 

Yes we talk about Parkinson and with this group I can be real, open and honest. No Judgement! We talk about the challenges the disease has on my health, my family and my future.We discuss medications, symptoms and sleepless nights. One thing is real, while Parkinson's is attacking me in many ways it cannot slow my thoughts, ideas, decision making ability and most important my faith.  

On this night, I spend the evening with the most important three people in my life. God, Family and friends. As we discussed the families and friends we were blessed with our conversation always came back to the God that blesses us and carries us through the hard days.

This makes me wonder how anyone can get through life without the three most important people they need in their life. While family is important and we spend lots of time with them and we certainly always find time to go to the movies with friend or call them when we want to chat, how often do we remember God? How any times do we see God at a wedding but he is not invited to the marriage? How often do we bless our dinner but by the time we do dishes we forget that God should still be with us? God loves to talk while you are doing dishes or folding towels. Just today I had a very long chat with God as I fixed broken pipes. There is nothing better then talking to God while you are standing in the freezing cold fixing a pipe in the middle of a pig pen while the pig is chewing on your foot. 

Yes God listens when we are stuck in the mud. Most importantly he is the other three we need in our lives. The father God, the son Jesus and the holy spirit. Together the bless us, carry us and bring us peace. In the end their love will take us to the final home. The eternal life.

I know this is true because my bible says it is so.

Whoever believes in Gods son will have everlasting life. 

John 3:36 

If you learn nothing from my blogs know that I want you there. When I reach the place I am going and I wrap my arms around Jesus and hug him and cry in his ever loving arms my wish is that I will turn around and you will all be with me. It is on that day that a new day will begin and so will "My Journey."



Number 29 Keith Eichenberger



Ron Hamilton & Kym Berry
    

Song of the night

When I Get Where I'm Going
When I get where I'm going
On the far side of the sky
The first thing that I'm gonna do
Is spread my wings and fly
I'm gonna land beside a lion
And run my fingers through his mane
Or I might find out what it's like
To ride a drop of rain
Yeah, when I get where I'm going
There'll be only happy tears
I will shed the sins and struggles
I have carried all these years
And I'll leave my heart wide open
I will love and have no fear
Yeah, when I get where I'm going
Don't cry for me down here
I'm gonna walk with my grandaddy
And he'll match me step for step
And I'll tell him how I missed him
Every minute since he left
Then I'll hug his neck
Yeah, when I get where I'm going
There'll be only happy tears
I will shed the sins and struggles
I have carried all these years
And I'll leave my heart wide open
I will love and have no fear
Yeah, when I get where I'm going
Don't cry for me down here
So much pain and so much darkness
In this world we stumble through
All these questions I can't answer
So much work to do
But when I get where I'm going
And I see my Maker's face
I'll stand forever in the light
Of His amazing grace
Yeah when I get where I'm going
There'll be only happy tears
Hallelujah
I will love and have no fear
When I get where I'm going
Yeah, when I get where I'm going





No comments:

Post a Comment