Saturday, September 9, 2017

Running With A Purpose




When I was a kid there was a small mountain between our house and Sonora. Well really its still there, but as a kid it looked really big and massive. In the winter the fog and clouds would hug it keeping it warm and when it did snow the mountain always got white first. During the summer, we would watch it as it dried up and there were s few times when it caught fire and we watched as the helicopters and fire planes dropped their water and pink retardant on the mountain to save it from burning up.

I remember one spring after a week of rain we decided to hike the big mountain. It was wet and cool so Mom said that sweat shirts were to be worn so we pulled them over our heads and off we went for a day on the big mountain in the distance. A day filled with fun, adventure and exploring.

After several hours we were way up there almost half up that big old mountain. We could see forever, I bet we could see all the way to Jamestown. We could hear the train in the Jamestown depot and I could even hear the roar of the trucks on the highway. AMAZING!

After enjoying the view we decided that it would be a good idea to race home. Off we went running through the wet grass, around brush and jumping over logs. We were slipping and sliding all over the place. In no time we were back in the front yard and for the next two hours we would share the stories of our big adventure and the race that ended the day.

As the years passed the adventures would change but they always included running. There was the "J" that Mr. Bergstrom made us run at school, the track we ran at Sonora High and of course the ditch trail at the college. It seemed like life was always a race or I was always running. I even had to run to catch my wife. She could really run!

There were races to win and races against time. Life is full of races, challenges and obsticles. Later my race might be to finish a job at work, a task in college or a race to get to the hospital for the baby to be born. Always a race. Some we win and some...well we don't.

Now I am in a different race well maybe not a race but a challenge the challenge of learning to live with the dailly struggles and challenges that Parkinson's brings into my life. For example, today I got up and my legs and back were just a mess. Nothing but pain. I grab the edge of the closet door to help pull me up and stumble towards the door to the other room. As I straighten up I felt an incredible pain inside my rib cage. It is as if someone had grabbed my lungs and I could not breathe. Its another cramp but this one is not in my legs or my arms but instead is nicely set in my abdomen. NICE! You can't rub those things out.

I thought I would die! There I stood twsiting, turning, stretching and gasping. There was no position I could move to get that stinker to go away. Of course within seconds there was my most trusted companion Krishna trying to help. A calm voice, a soft touch of the hand and soon I was relaxed and slowly the pain eased.

I had a victory. I have to take the ones that I get when I can right. I mean I can't really run anymore and I can't climb a mountain anymore but what I really miss is playing baseball. I even dream about it. I can smell the dirt and the grass. I can hear the crack of the bat and feel the excitement in my legs as I run the bases. I do not think that will ever happen again. But there are always those wonderful dreams. The excitement of victory and the agony of defeat. Life is full of events just like this right?

The bible says:

1 Corinthians 9:24-28

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly, I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

You know what this means? This means that every one wins. Anyone that stays the course with God gets the greatest prize of all. So matter if you are blind, deaf, fighting daily obstacles or even if you are fighting Parkinson's if you stay the course you get the prize.

This is so beautiful. I am always so amazed that God can love us so much that no matter how broken we may be here on earth our prize is a eternity of running and playing baseball. No pain. No losing. Nothing but the smell of dirt and grass and running the bases without pain. Always a victory.

What an amazing love our God has for us. He is so faithful and kind. He is a God that is always beside me. Better yet he is God that always carries me. His angels are with me and he guides me through the daily races, hills and gets me to the finish line of the biggest race of all. He is my life coach and he will forever be with me on "My Journey."

God Loves you and so do I!

Editors Note:

Each night as I type I listen to music. Right now I am listening to Chris Tomlin. In the past I have shared that I listen to Journey, Styx, and John Denver. I love all music but one of my favorites is a man whose southern voice and love songs can calm me and make me focus like no other. In fact, last week I used his lyrics to close my blog. This week that voice was silenced. I won't see him in concert but some day I hope to hear Don Williams sing in heaven. Until then I will forever pray that "Lord I hope This day is Good." Rest in peace. 


But I believe in love I believe in old folks I believe in children and I believe in you
I believe in love, I believe in babies, I believe in mom and dad and I believe in you.


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful life love story. Beautiful life to come where there will be no pain or despair. Thank you for sharing with us Ron.

    ReplyDelete