Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Isaiah 53:5



Editors Note: Hello! I have missed you all and I am sorry for the delay. Sometimes we just have to take a breath and collect our thoughts. Tomorrow night I will continue my series on Friendship but tonight I wanted to update you on my life with Parkinson's. Thank you to all who are reading and encouraging me and thank you Lynn for tonight's title idea. 

As I sit here listening to Chris Tomlin I am reminded of how much God loves me. He is a Good Father. When I was diagnosed with Parkinson's I did not know what to expect. There is not a day that passes that I am told by someone that they know someone with Parkinson's. Then they tell me all about the wheel chairs, or walkers or how they passed away.

This saddens me and I am so sorry to hear this challenge that they are going through. My friend Chris Luckie fights the fight everyday and Parkinson's has been very hard on her. But her faith encourages us all. She is a constant positive support to those of us just starting our journey.

My cousin Sara fights the battle each day with her Dad. He is stubborn but his will power carries him through the walk. When I see her she encourages me. Really, with all that she is doing daily she has time to encourage me? I love you so much Sara Clare!

The thing I think we must remember about Parkinson's is that it is different for each person and it is different EVERYDAY! Last week someone actually thought I had died from Parkinson's. So tonight I want to clear some things up.

I AM NOT DYING!


There is no cure for Parkinson's disease; however many patients are only mildly affected and need no treatment for several years after the initial diagnosis.In some people the disease progresses more quickly than in others. As the disease progresses, the shaking, or tremor, which affects the majority of PD patients may begin to interfere with daily activities. 
Parkinson's itself is not a fatal condition and in itself will not kill you. As a matter of fact, the life expectancy with Parkinson's is only slightly shorter than most people without the disease if you catch it early and take good care of yourself.
However, complications of Parkinson's are usually what shorten life expectancy in people with this condition. Death due to Parkinson's related complications isn't too common, but it can occur. Early detection, treatment, and assistance with living help reduce the risk. Here are some of the things that can lead to death from Parkinson's:
1. Aspiration Pneumonia 2. Falls 3. Dementia
How Long Can You Live with Parkinson's?

  • Men are at a 60% increased risk of death due to Parkinson's
  • The average age of death with Parkinson's is around 81 years' old
  • The average life expectancy after diagnosis is about 16 years
  • People that have severe cognitive dysfunction or mental manifestations are at a 50% higher risk of death.



Parkinson's affects the way muscles function. This can cause problems with the throat and/or vocal cord muscles that close the throat off from the lungs when swallowing. As a result, food and fluids may enter the lungs leading to pneumonia. This type of pneumonia is extremely serious.
The shuffling gait and stiff legs that occur with Parkinson's raises the risk of falls. People with Parkinson's are at high risk of head injuries and hip fractures. Both of these cause an increased risk of death.
Research continues to find the reason why people with dementia seem to be at higher risk of early death with Parkinson's. This is because dementia usually only affects cognitive function and not motor skills. A lack of adequate help in the home or caregiver may have a profound effect on people suffering from both Parkinson's and dementia, as these two conditions together would need increased supervision.
Life expectancy with Parkinson's depends on how early you are diagnosed and begin treatment. The longer you wait, the higher your risk of complications that could shorten your life. In general, people with Parkinson's do have a slightly shorter life expectancy. Does Parkinson's kill you? Not the condition itself. Can complications from Parkinson's contribute to an earlier death? Yes.
Studies show that death due to complications of Parkinson's occurs anywhere from 2 years after diagnosis all the way up to 37 years after diagnosis. Again, it isn't actually Parkinson's that shortens life expectancy, but the complications. 

So I am a long way away from my 80's and if you have seen me I look pretty good.Yes I shake but not as bad as the medicines have really helped. Yes I forget things. We all do! Yes I have lost weight since the diagnosis but I needed to loose that 20 pounds so it was a blessing. This is probably because I have become aware of what I am eating and how much I am eating. I am teaching myself to eat slower so that when I am older I hope it will help with the challenges that Parkinson's can cause. I also have nausea from the medicine and soemtimes dinner just does not sound good. 
Yes I can have the Parkinson's stare and look on my face. But my mind is smiling and laughing and I am happy. How can I not be happy? With all the challenges we face we all also have pretty good lives here in this great country.
I am also learning to walk slower. Shorter steps and heel first. This has helped with the stumbling and when I am older I hope this life change will help keep me from the falls that can hurt Parkinson;'s sufferers. 
I am not dying. I am not leaving my job. I LOVE MY JOB!. I am retiring from 4-H because I do need to take it a little bit easy but I am alive and well. Yes I have struggles but I also have God.
You see my God is great and he gave everything so that I can live a great life. Through God I am blessed and through God I am HEALED. He is always by my side no matter the struggle and trust me there are many struggles in my life that can be more challenging then Parkinson's. 
Thank you for taking this journey and for reading my story and sharing my blog. The calls of support and encouragement are daily reminders that I live in a great community of many amazing people.  
Tomorrow I will climb out of bed. I will have slept very little but I will head out into the world with an angle on my shoulder, God by my side and an amazing community walking with me on "My Journey."

But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.



"How Great Is Our God"

The splendor of a king
Clothed in majesty
Let all the earth rejoice
All the earth rejoice

He wraps Himself in light,
And darkness tries to hide
And trembles at His voice
Trembles at His voice

How great is our God
Sing with me
How great is our God
And all will see
How great, how great is our God

Age to age He stands
And time is in His hands
Beginning and the end
Beginning and the end

The Godhead Three in One
Father, Spirit and Son
The Lion and the Lamb
The Lion and the Lamb

How great is our God
Sing with me
How great is our God
And all will see
How great, how great is our God

Name above all names
Worthy of all praise
My heart will sing
How great is our God

Name above all names
You are worthy of all praise
And my heart will sing
How great is our God

[3x]
How great is our God
Sing with me
How great is our God
And all will see
How great, how great is our God


2 comments:

  1. Love you too Ron! Thank you for the kind words! Yes it is hard, but with the steps and changes, and acceptance and awareness you already have, you will succeed in living life to its fullest. Parkinson's will NOT define you, it will NOT rule you.... You will rule it. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you took some time for you, very very glad you are back sharing! I love you my friend and I look forward to reading your blog for the next 20 years (or more).

    ReplyDelete