Tuesday, May 2, 2017


We're All Just Seeds



Part 3: Healing

Editors Notes:During this series I am looking at ways to heal our bodies during difficult times. Today we discuss diet for Parkinson's Disease and of course I add my own little spin.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Do you not know that your body is a temple to the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

There is a Kenny Chesney song that says:

The body's a temple, that's what we're told
I've treated this one like an old honky-tonk 
Greasy cheeseburgers and cheap cigarettes
One day they'll get me if they ain't got me yet

Boy does that sound like all of us? Except the smokes. YUK! I am the worst person for food advice. Why? Because I am a pizza addict. It is true that I can and I have eaten pizza everyday for years. Think about it, pizza has all the basic food groups: Milk (cheese), Vegetables, protein, tomatoes, vitamin C, anchovies and of course wheat. These are my basic food groups. Of course you must add a coke. I know water is better but remember it is soda water with ice!

In all seriousness we should treat our bodies better. My doctor says so, my God says so and of course the real boss of me says so. KRISHNA. Tonight I have information for you Parkinson sufferers and I have added my thoughts through out as some of the foods help with symptoms I do not have yet.

No singular diet can treat Parkinson's disease or its symptoms, but a healthy and balanced diet can improve general well-being. Eating fruits and vegetables may help keep you energized and hydrated. Fiber-rich foods and fluids may ease symptoms of constipation or low blood pressure.
Your medication regimen may impact your diet, too. Adjusting the timing and composition of meals might allow medications to work better, and you may need to avoid specific foods to prevent side effects.
Work with your physician or a dietitian to design a diet that fits your needs.

SHOULD YOU AVOID ANY FOODS OR SUPPLEMENTS WITH PARKINSON'S DISEASE?
The medication levodopa (Sinemet) is a protein building block so it competes for absorption with other proteins. Eating a very proteinic meal reduces the likelihood of effectively absorbing levodopa, so you may want to leave meat, fish and cheese for dinner and eat more carbohydrates and vegetables during the day. Taking medication on an empty stomach -- 30 minutes before or 60 minutes after a meal -- allows the drug to reach the small intestine and absorb faster. However, a carbohydrate snack (crackers, toast, oatmeal) with the medication may be necessary to prevent nausea.
Dopamine agonists (pramipexole and ropinirole) do not require any dietetic adjustment. Those who take MAO-B inhibitors (rasagiline or selegiline) should eat with moderation -- but not eliminate -- foods that contain high concentrations of tyramine. MAO-B inhibitors increase tyramine, and the combination could elevate blood pressure. This list of foods to avoid includes:
  • *cured, fermented or air-dried meats or fish
  • *aged cheeses: aged cheddar or Swiss, blue cheeses, Camembert
  • *fermented cabbage: sauerkraut, kimchi
  • *soybean products, including soy sauce
  • *red wine and tap beer
Iron supplements can also decrease absorption of levodopa so they should be separated from medications by at least two hours.

WHAT DIETARY CHANGES CAN EASE PARKINSON'S SYMPTOMS?

Constipation is common in Parkinson's disease. Increased fluid and fiber consumption can help maintain regularity.PRAISE THE LORD I DO NOT SUFFER FROM THIS! Aim to drink six to eight 8 ounce glasses of water per day. Warm liquids, especially in the morning, can stimulate bowel movements. Dietary sources of fiber consist of fruits (with the peel), vegetables, legumes, whole grain breads and cereals. Most of these are high in antioxidants as well. 

I struggle to drink enough water as water often makes me really sick to my stomach. For years, after my Chiari surgery, I would get up at night and get sick around 3:00 in the morning and adding water was like a bomb on my system. Recently, my buddy Todd turned me on to adding amino acids or flavor drops to my water. It made a huge difference. I notice more energy, clearer mind and I feel better.
Low blood pressure is a symptom of Parkinson's and a side effect of some medications. Raising fluid and salt intake will boost blood pressure, but talk with your physician, especially if you have heart or kidney problems. Increase cold fluids -- water, Gatorade, V8 juice -- to five 8 ounce glasses per half day. Limit caffeinated beverages, hot liquids and alcohol as these encourage dehydration and low blood pressure. Eating frequent, small meals can also smooth blood pressure fluctuations.
Swallowing problems can present as coughing, choking or a sensation of food feeling "stuck." A speech therapist can prescribe appropriate, individualized dietary modifications and adaptive strategies. These may include adding foods with increased "sensory input" (e.g., seasoned, cold, sour or carbonated items) or altering the consistency of solids and/or liquids. In addition, you might be asked to sit up straight, take smaller bites at a slower pace and allow for longer mealtimes.
Some people with Parkinson's experience painful muscle cramping, especially at night and as medication wears off. Eating yellow mustard, which contains the spice turmeric, or drinking tonic water, which contains quinine, may help. Others endorse salt, vinegar or pickle juice. Maintaining adequate hydration may prevent or limit cramping.

The leg cramps are horrible. They are constant everyday and especially at night. Pastor Mark told me about the mustard and it does work. I also like sour stuff so I eat pickles and kiss Krishna. 

WHAT ARE ANTIOXIDANTS AND WHAT FOODS CONTAIN THEM?

Antioxidants are one of those "good for you" things you hear about all the time. They're molecules that clear out free radicals -- toxic substances formed from stresses like air pollution, sunlight, cigarette smoke and even the process of converting food to energy. Oxidative stress is a biological condition caused by too many free radicals. It's associated with aging and Parkinson's disease, so a diet high in antioxidants may offset oxidative stress and cellular damage.
Antioxidants are present in:
    • *vegetables: artichokes, okra, kale, bell peppers, potatoes
    • *fruits: berries, pears, apples, grapes
    • *grains
    • *eggs
    • *legumes: kidney beans, edamame, lentils
    • *nuts: pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts
    • *dark chocolate
    • *some beverages such as red wine, coffee and tea

  • So there you go. Its all in there. How to eat, drink and be merry. Remember what the bible says:

  • 1 Corinthians 6:12

All things are lawful for me,”but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be enslaved by anything.

God wants us to treat our bodies like a temple in his honor. If we are over doing it we are ruining it. Eat, drink and exercise in moderation. Remember we all pretty much start the same. But how we live our lives will determine where go and how we live. 

We're all just seeds
In God's hands
We start the same
But where we land
Is sometimes fertile soil
And sometimes sand
We're all just seeds
In God's hands

So make good decisions in all that you do. Group support is good and talking to God about guidance is great. Let him make your decisions because you will be better for it. Remember God LOVES you and SO DO I! He will carry you through all the hard times and good times and he carries me as I make "My Journey."

Blessings

hamiltonron22@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Didn't know about mustard and leg cramps - interesting. T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krishna?? Sour? I think NOT😂❤️😉

    ReplyDelete