Sunday, May 28, 2017

That's What Friends Are For!





Friendship Series

A chance meeting? I think not. It was an early introduction of two people who one day would become lifelong friends. Friends that always miss each other but "never miss" when showing each other true love even in the hardest of times.

I was asked by my school to compete in a speech contest. I was pretty good at speaking but on that night two young beautiful girls would show me how to win a contest. We would meet again and the results the same. But that night started two amazing friendships and today Triina Turula and I are still laughing and loving life TOGETHER as friends. This is Our Journey.

Triina

Like many of you I love starting my day by reading Ron’s blog.  I am inspired and ready to face the day when I have finished reading his “Journey” entries.

I was very honored and humbled when Ron asked me to submit a contribution to his blog series about friendship.  Here is where I tell you that pizza must be brain food because Ron started by saying “Do you remember when we first met?  I do.”  It took some serious thinking to find the memory of a speech competition that we both attended in elementary school.  You see we went to 2 different elementary schools and would not get to know each other as true friends until high school.
Needless to say, my memory is shot and I can speak to a couple of very vivid memories from high school.  I remember the football game that we played/attended after Susan Moody died.  It was raining and we lost.  I just couldn’t believe I could feel that bad – I realized life just wasn’t fair, but the important thing is that you keep on living life the best you can.


The great thing about the Sonora High Class of ’84 is that we all continue to grow and somehow become closer to each other.  Ron also talked about our friend Kym Berry, who went to be with the Lord.  I attended her funeral at her home church.  I was SO proud of the woman that she had become.  She was truly an inspiration to her church, her friends and her family.  Well, I feel the same way about Ron, I am so proud to know him.

It was during those years that our friendship grew. From class meeting, school events and get together's Triina and I would create a friendship that would last. Triina is like that with everyone. She will give the shirt off her back to help others.

Our friendship continued after high school. Even while I traveled for the 4-H program I could often meet up with Triina and visit. I remember we even went to a Sonora High football game one Friday night. As we drove to the away game we had the chance to catch up and visit. I loved to hear her tell stories and she could and still does make me laugh.

Triina


Ron and I see each other every 5 years or so at our class reunion, but we have seen each other in between those reunions too.  I asked Ron to work for me once about 20 years ago (is that right?).  I was working for a college textbook company and we were buying textbooks back from college students at Fresno City College.  Well, it was a beautiful disaster.  The computers all froze up and we had to buy manually – looking up every single book in a buying guide. It was painfully slow.  Ron saved me that buy.

What I didn’t really realize is that was right before Ron’s Chiari surgery and the way he told it, I was not alarmed by the potential danger in this surgery.  Ron is a miracle that way – you don’t know that he is hurting, or frightened because he doesn’t ever let on.  I want to be this way – but I don’t have his gift.

Shortly following this I heard of a benefit that was happening in Sonora to raise money to help pay some of the enormous medical bills that had accumulated.  I called the organizer and helped as best I could from far away.  In typical fashion I got a simple message from Ron – “I know what you did”.

 Ron – I wish I could have done more!

I so vividly remember that generous gift from Triina. Her family donated a painting done by Joel Barber (Spelling) the art teacher from Columbia College to be sold at the benefit. What is even more amazing is that when they did not think it was selling for enough they bought it themselves to support the efforts.

Since then there have been dinner at my house, reunions and now a walk through Parkinson. She has been there with my family for all the good and bad. When kids were born she held them, when events needed to be organized she supported them and now when challenges come my way she does not stand by my side but instead she carries my family through them.

The bible tells us:

Proverbs 12:25

Anxiety weighs down the heart, but kind words cheers it up.

This is Triina! Always there with words of encouragement. Always there to tell a funny story. Always there to love and support. ALWAYS THERE! Whether it is a fundraiser for an ill friend, to hold a hand when a loved one is lost or to carry us when we are challenged her love amazes all.

Triina

On another note – Ron and my younger brother Rob are often mistaken for each other.  Both have met a POTUS (Rob met Carter and Ron met Reagan).  Both excelled in their respective service clubs – Rob in Scouts (he was an Eagle Scout) and we all know about Ron and 4H.  And they are both very tall.  I think it is a nice mistake.


So here it is.  True friends pick up where they left off.  I can call Ron and he will get me a whole pig (cooked in the ground) for our 20th reunion.  He can call me and ask for anything and if it is in my power I will do it.  It is a natural feeling that never feels like work.  Ron you have helped me in these past days by sharing your faith.  I have struggled with putting my fears and my worries in God’s hands and actually letting go.  You help me find my faith every time I read your blog.  Thank you my friend.

No, Thank you Triina. Thank you for always understanding and given love and advice in good and hard times. Thank you for loving me and now my family. But mostly, Thank you for carrying me through life with love and laughter as I make "My Journey."



And I never thought I'd feel this way
And as far as I'm concerned
I'm glad I got the chance to say
That I do believe, I love you
And if I should ever go away
Well, then close your eyes and try
To feel the way we do today
And then if you can remember
Keep smiling, keep shining
Knowing you can always count on me, for sure
That's what friends are for
For good times and bad times
I'll be on your side forever more
That's what friends are for
Well, you came in loving me
And now there's so much more I see
And so by the way
I thank you
Oh and then for the times when we're apart
Well, then close your eyes and know
The words are coming from my heart
And then if you can remember
Keep smiling, keep shining
Knowing you can always count on me, for sure
That's what friends are for
For good times and bad times
I'll be on your side forever more
That's what friends are for

2 comments: