Wednesday, May 3, 2017


Lets Get Physical




Part 3: Healing

Editors Note: Tonight is the next part in the healing process. We have looked at mind, soul and food so today we look at exercise. Looking forward I will be doing a six part series about how friendship can heal us when we are ill, down or hurting. Hope you read those as you may be in them.

As I have shared before I have never been one to sit still. As a kid I loved to play sports and run everywhere. As I moved through life that energy was still there but it became to painful to try and do the simplest of tasks. Just walking became a agony of back pain and pounding headaches.

When I was diagnosed with Chiari I was told no more running, jumping, hopping, skipping etc. That was because it causes the brain to bounce and since mine is not completely in my skull that leads to pain.  No more baseball. I love baseball but a hit in the head and well that could be a problem.

Then along came Parkinson's Disease and now there are new concerns and challenges. However, Parkinson's is not a death sentence so you can exercise and some exercise is helpful for Parkinson's patients. The most important thing is to take it in moderation. Remember that bible verse?

First and foremost consult your doctor. Working with a physical therapist is a great idea as they can help you form a plan. My Physical Therapist is TJ Pilchard. TJ is a lifelong friend of 43 years and when I was diagnosed with Parkinson's TJ had a ton of great information to give me. Ok he mostly gave me that brotherly advice and lecture that TJ is so great at but he gives it with love and concern.

First and foremost here is some advice:

* When walking take slow short steps. Trying to stretch it out or rush it can cause you take a spill.
* Put your heal down first.
* Use a walking stick.
* Walk on smooth flat roads. No pot holes.
* Walk with a friend in case you fall.
* Take a drink. Not gin but probably water.

Many people cite swimming, walking and yoga as favorites. The universal benefits of exercise in helping everyone feel better and improving overall health are well-documented. There is evidence that exercise may hold specific benefits for people with Parkinson's in staying active and relatively limber, and improving balance and motor coordination.

It depends on your overall fitness level, but a good first step is to talk to your primary care physician and have a thorough checkup before starting any activity. For many people it's important to start slowly, and one good way to start is with a physical therapist. This way you can get an "exercise prescription" and work with an expert to determine what you can (and can't) do safely. Especially if you haven't been regularly exercising, it may be best to begin under the supervision of a professional who has access to professional equipment.


The best exercise is the one that your care team approves of and that appeals to you, because you'll stick with it. With that said, some options seem to be working particularly well for people with PD:
  • Dance classes for people with Parkinson's disease are ongoing in Brooklyn, New York, and more than 75 other communities around the world. Participants are empowered to explore movement and music in ways that are refreshing, enjoyable, stimulating and creative.
  • Boxing is gaining popularity among some people with PD, who find they gain hope and improve quality of life through a non-contact-boxing-based fitness curriculum.
  • There is some evidence to support the hypothesis that cycling holds particular benefit for people with Parkinson's disease.
  • There is one Parkinson's patient who swears by fencing:
There it is short and sweet tonight. This is the last Blog until next Monday when I will start the Friendship Series. I have a wedding to officiate this weekend in Napa so I am taking a break from being a blogger and putting on the wedding hat.

For the next few days I will miss this as it has been very therapeutic for me and I sure love seeing you all here each night. I listen to Chris Tomlin, Dan Seals and Five For Fighting as I type my story. You see you are reading my life in words from your side of the screen but I am sitting here reading bible verses, dancing in my chair and singing my way through my nightly Blog. It is entertaining, refreshing my soul, strengthening my faith and letting me meet new people as I make my way through "My Journey."


Blessings!


Song of The night:

God Must Be A Cowboy At Heart

Dan Seals

A campfire some coffee from a tin cup in my hand
Sure warms the fingers when it's cold
A-playing an old guitar a friend I understand
Sure smoothes the wrinkles in my soul
A-sleeping in the moonlight a blanket for the bed
Leaves a peaceful feeling in my mind
Waking up in the morning with an eagle overhead
Makes me want to fly away before my time
And I think God must be a cowboy at heart
He made wide-open spaces from the start
He made grass and trees and mountains and a horse to be a friend
And trails to lead old cowboys home again
Night life and big cities is alright for awhile
Sure makes you feel good when you're there
But the country's so pretty it goes on and on for miles
Takes away my troubles and my cares
And I think God must be a cowboy at heart
He made wide-open spaces from the start
He made grass and trees and mountains and a horse to be a friend
And trails to lead old cowboys home again
And trails to lead old cowboys home again
Songwriters: D Seals

3 comments:

  1. Dang it Ron. Now I'm going to have to exercise. No more excuses. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 🀺🚴🏊🎡🎢🎧

    ReplyDelete