Tuesday, April 25, 2017

We All Want A Cure


Editors Note: As I move through the next few weeks I will cover different treatments for Parkinson's Disease. I will also be featuring the writing of my daughter who will tell her story of living with me as we make this journey. That should be a story. Thank you for joining my family as we make this trip and supporting us with your love as we make "My Journey."

I remember as a small child when I had pneumonia. For several days I felt like I had an elephant on my chest and could not sleep. At night no matter how tired I was I would toss and turn because I could barley breathe. I remember late one night I was sleeping on the couch and was coughing all night. In the middle of the night a hand reached out and touched me to calm me down. It was my mom sleeping on the floor next to me. The incredible part is the fact that the floor was cement and had no rug or carpet to speak of, but there she was laying there to watch over her sick child.

Many years later when I had my brain surgery I remember that in the fog of all the pain hand after hand would touch my hand to bring comfort to me. Even though I could not visually make out who it was I could tell by the touch who it was and that brought me comfort.

There was the small soft hand with the wedding ring. That was Krishna. Then there was the woman's hand with narrow fingers. That was my moms hand. Finally there was the rough hand with callouses. That was my dad's hand. Then late at night when I was all alone I could feel the healing hand of God.

Everyone that is diagnosed with an illness or disease is looking for a cure. We take Vitamin C for colds, we use a variety of meds for the flu and tums takes care of heartburn. There are old fashion remedies like vinegar for sunburns, baking soda for upset tummies and who can forget smashing an aspirin sugar to make it easier to swallow. I think there is a song about that.

As the disease gets bigger the cures become harder to find. We have all heard the stories that so many go through fighting cancer. Chemotherapy, radiation and laser treatment. The cancer is one big battle but so is the symptoms of the medications and treatments. Sickness and nausea are often painful reminder for those fighting cancer that the battle is difficult.

This weekend I was at a wedding and was reminded once again how brave those who fight the cancer battle are. Terri Brockmire you are in my prayers. I am praying that you and Pastor Mark have ZERO'S. 

For those of us fighting Parkinson's Disease there are many different roads that doctors may take to fight the different symptoms of the disease.Tonight I discuss the most common Parkinson's drug. 
In future Blogs I will discuss other medications and treatments.I feel that info should come in small doses. Get IT?

I am on a few medications. The biggest thing for me is learning to not over do it. When doing physical activity. This weekend I helped at a wedding and that night I had an awful night. I had the leg cramps that come from Parkinson's and the stress that I caused from pushing my body really enhanced my shaking through the night while I was trying to sleep.

Sunday I thought well maybe I should do yard work and loosen up my muscles. I over did it. While exercise is good it is important to remember that God says to do everything in moderation. Even yard work. Remember to always listen to that small voice that talks to you in your head. Most the time it is God giving you loving advice. It might also be your wife saying take out the trash. Do it.

Today I met with an old friend who is joining the walk with Christ . We discussed all the questions so many of us have asked about this type of journey. My biggest advice to him is the same I give you. Life with or with out God is not perfect. Without God there is little hope. With God there is not only great hope but there is also peace. That is what I feel in my life, a peace that brings me comfort. A peace and comfort that I rest in as I make "My Journey."



 What follows comes from the Parkinson's Foundation.

Since most symptoms of PD are caused by a lack of dopamine in the brain, many Parkinson’s drugs are aimed at either temporarily replenishing dopamine or mimicing the action of dopamine. These types of drugs are called dopaminergic medications. They generally help reduce muscle rigidity, improve speed and coordination of movement and lessen tremor.
Always remember that medication is only part of the overall treatment plan for combatting PD. Learn more about the available medications on these pages, but don't forget exercise and complementary therapies.
Caution: PD medications may have interactions with certain foods, other medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, over-the-counter cold pills and other remedies. Anyone taking a PD medication should talk to their doctor and pharmacist about potential drug interactions.
If you make the switch, be sure to follow these tips:
  • Report to your physician how effective the drug is. 
  • Carefully keep a diary of any side effects.
  • Record dose adjustments that your physicians make (higher or lower).
  • In general, try to stay with a single drug manufacturer for your generic medications. You may need to ask your pharmacist to special order for you.
What Are the Facts?

  • The drug levodopa is synthesized in the brain into dopamine. It is the most important first-line drug for the management of Parkinson's.
  • Levodopa is almost always given in combination with the drug carbidopa, which prevents the nausea that can be caused by levodopa alone. Carbidopa is also a levodopa enhancer. When added, carbidopa enables a much lower dose of levodopa (80% less!) and helps reduce the side effects of nausea and vomiting. Pills containing both drugs are often labeled “carbidopa-levodopa,” with the active components listed in alphabetical order.
  • Levodopa was developed in the late 1960s and was the first medication proven effective in treating a chronic neurodegenerative disease like PD. It remains the single most effective agent in the management of Parkinson’s symptoms.
  • Levodopa in pill form is absorbed in the blood from the small intestine and travels through the blood to the brain, where it is converted into dopamine and stored in the neurons until needed by the body for movement.
  • Carbidopa-levodopa tablets are available in immediate-release and slow-release forms as well as dissolvable tablets that are placed under the tongue.
  • Carbidopa-levodopa extended release (ER) capsules (Rytary™) maintain levodopa concentrations longer than the immediate-release or other available oral levodopa formulations. Following an initial peak at about one hour, plasma levodopa concentrations are maintained for about 4 to 5 hours before declining.
  • Carbidopa/levodopa is also now available via a dopamine intestinal infusion pump which provides 16 continuous hours of carbidopa and levodopa for motor symptoms. The small, portable infusion pump delivers carbidopa and levodopa directly into the small intestine.  

Common Side Effects
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lightheadedness
  • Lowered blood pressure
  • Confusion
  • Dyskinesia (if used as a long-term therapy; between 3-5 years)
  • People who use levodopa long term may experience dyskinesia at some point, usually three to five years after starting the medication.
  • The term dyskinesia describes involuntary, erratic, writhing movements of the face, arms, legs, and/or trunk, which usually occur one to two hours after a dose of levodopa has been absorbed into the bloodstream and is having its peak clinical effect.
Uncommon Side Effects
  • Sleepiness, sudden onset sleep
  • Impulse control disorders (compulsive behaviors) such as excessive gambling, shopping, internet use or increased sexual behavior
Eating Proteins with Levodopa/Sinemet*
  • It is best to take Sinemet 30 to 60 minutes before eating a meal. This allows the Sinemet to be quickly absorbed before the food can interfere.
  • Take the Sinemet along with foods that don’t contain proteins.
  • Ginger tea is a good choice for many people, because it often “settles the stomach”.
  • A graham cracker or soda cracker along with the ginger tea may help too.
  • These foods are very low in protein and should not interfere with the absorption of Sinemet.











4 comments:

  1. Glad you are back. I missed you and the daily dose of inspiration you give me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the word youbshared with your friend and with us! I will be sure to write that down and place it near my work computer❤️ ( maybe the bathroom mirror too, for when my peeps are needing an encouraging word❣️)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I have been living with a PD patient for three years and he's been diagnosed over 12, I am learning things from you that I didn't know. He doesn't care to know and I sometimes have a hard time keeping up. I'm so proud that you're being proactive and being educated... I'm sure it will increase your success at managing PD. Can you send a little of your personality to our house?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara the personality is there..It is you. You are the difference. I am proud of you and I LOVE you so much. Put in his hands.

      Delete