Tuesday, April 18, 2017

What is This Thing Called Parkinson's?




Join My Journey Today




I think it is important to remember that everyone has challenges in life. Today I was contacted by someone who needed prayer for her mom and another that needed prayer for cancer. I love praying for others so keep the requests coming in. If you would like to send a prayer request OR if you want to be a My Journey Prayer Warrior and pray for others send me your info at the email at the end of this Blog and join the journey.

The Bible tells us to pray for each other and for ourselves. It even tells us to pray for our enemies. Really. The bible says:

John 15:7
If you abide in me, and my words in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you

James 5:13
Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise.

John 14:13
Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

When I pray I cry. Ok I cry about almost anything but the power of prayer really overwhelms. Why? Because I cannot believe that I am so blessed. I cannot believe that God loves me so much that he has chosen me to serve him. What an honor.


What Causes Parkinson's Disease

Parkinson's is a disease of the central nervous system caused by the loss of dopamine producing cells in the brain. However, exactly why dopamine-producing cells become lost is unclear. Research suggests that a combination of genetic and environmental factors may be responsible. How these two factors interact varies from person to person. It is also unclear why some people develop the disease but not others.

Genetic Causes

It is very rare for Parkinson's to be passed from parent to child. However, in recent years a number of cases have been identified in which Parkinson's seems to be at least partly genetic. In these cases, a mutated gene appears to have been passed from one generation to the next and Parkinson's has developed in a number of people in the same family.

Genes are segments of the molecule DNA within the nucleus of cells that pass characteristics from parents to their offspring. Scientists believe certain genes may play a role in the genetic causes of Parkinson's. These genes are an important focus for research. Increased understanding of how such genes may affect the underlying risk, onset and progression of Parkinson's could be important for future treatments.

Environmental Causes

Some evidence suggests that environmental factors including toxic chemicals, viruses, bacteria and heavy metals may cause dopamine-producing neurons to die, leading to the development of Parkinson's. In particular, there has been much speculation about the link between herbicides and pesticides and the development of Parkinson's.

Combined Causes

Scientists currently believe that in most cases, genetic and environmental factors interact to cause Parkinson's disease. The extent to which each factor is involved varies from person to person. Unfortunately, it is generally impossible to find out exactly what caused a person to develop Parkinson's. While many people with Parkinson's report one or more family members with the disease, it is not clear if one or several genes are the cause.

Risk Factors

The single biggest risk factor for Parkinson's is age. Most people are over 60 when they develop the condition. However, one in 20 are under 40 with men having a slightly higher risk then woman. There are over one million people with Parkinson's and over 60,000 are diagnosed each year.

A number of studies have highlighted factors that are linked to either greater or lesser risks of Parkinson's. For example, severe head injuries have been associated with higher risk for the disease. According to Dr, Barbara Changizi, a neurologist at the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, research in 2013 found that people with head trauma that resulted in a concussion were 57% more likely to develop Parkinson's disease than people that never experienced such head trauma.

Head injuries can cause inflammation in the brain which may lead to changes in cells and brain structure that contribute to Parkinson's. Injuries can damage the part of the brain that contains dopamine-producing cells called substantia nigra and can lead to Parkinson's.


I know that this is a lot of information and can be confusing. The best part is that God helps me through this journey. I can read about Parkinson's all day and not know what to take in, what to be worried about and what direction I need to go. Then I realized I just need to pray and God will do the rest. He will give me the direction I need as I make my way through "My Journey."

Prayer Warriors and Prayer requests:

hamiltonron22@gmail.com


Philippians 2:3

 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourself.


1 comment:

  1. Enough good information can't come my way on this. Dr. DeMers recently told she thinks PD is the worst neurological disease because it affects each patient so differently you really can't tell them what to expect. Ron have you looked into DBS surgery? It changed my life. We need to get together, please call me. Chris

    ReplyDelete